From Open Source@Seneca
Elements of an SF Story
Common elements in SF books/movies/tv shows/etc:
Our Definition of SF
Assignment 1 - Topic Sign Up Page
Term Test Essay Questions
Assignment 2 Essay Topics
Final Exam Questions
Short Story Wiki Pages (for Assignment 1)
SF and Literary Terms - A Glossariki!
- LY, light year
- The distance traveled by light in one Earth year. Light travels at 300,000 km/sec, so a light year is [1 light year = 9.4605284 × 1015 meters]. One light second - 300,000 km or the distance light travels in one second
- faster than light.
- FTL drive
- the drive that enables ships to cross interstellar distances fast than light would (so in a relatively short time)
- A robot is an electro-mechanical device or group of devices that can perform autonomous or preprogrammed tasks unaided by human intervention. C-3PO and R2-D2 are examples of robots.
- An android is a robot made to resemble a human, usually both in appearance and behavior. Data from Star Trek is an example of an android.
- Stands for a CYBernetic ORGanism. In essence a creature that is part organic and part mechanical, computerized, etcetera. The Terminator is an example of a cyborg, for it is a mechanical body covered with organic skin and flesh.